Monday, June 7, 2010

Flowers and Fruiting

The beans and peas are beginning to sprout tiny little pods.









Our tomatoes in the garden are about to flower (the patio tomato and one that is in the back yard in a place of honor have already flowered and have tomatoes on them...one of them is orange now!), and the potatoes are flowering along with the raspberries.









It looks as if the peppers are just about to flower. I think that is what is going on in the middle of their leaves. It would be awesome to eat peppers before September!



Last year, things seemed to take forever!

I'm having a tough time with the warm weather fruits. The cantaloupe that I directly seeded just germinated, but the watermelons have not. I started some of both indoors, but every time I try putting them out, they seem to shrivel up into oblivion (I think it is because of our strong winds... and because they hate me). The Three Sisters Garden is doing really well. I planted some of the beans because the corn was tall enough, and that just germinated today. The squash and cucumber are doing well, but we will see what happens throughout the summer.

My lettuce seems to be enjoyed by fruit flies, but they can't be what's eating them, right? I have checked and checked for aphids but haven't seen any, unless these things I think are fruit flies are aphids?









I still have a lot of started plants that I don't know what to do with. I have a ton of started peppers, some tomatoes, watermelon that look really great that I'm afraid to put out into the wind, cantaloupe, and a squash. I don't really have room for them, but I hate killing things or throwing them out. I'll see if I can find spots for them.


2 comments:

  1. Could you make some type of shield for the melon seedlings, to keep them from being damaged by the wind? Maybe a cardboard box, with top and bottom removed, held down with a couple of hooks made from wire clothes hangers. Or some of that folding fence, the kind that is only a foot or so high, with a bit of fabric attached with clothes pins. Also, make sure you harden off all your seedlings before planting them.

    I think your lettuce has slugs. Just make sure you wash each leaf before you store it, you don't want surprise protein in your salad ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were absolutely right! I yanked a bunch of lettuce out today to find that they really liked only one particular type in the Burpee mixture that I planted.

    ReplyDelete