Saturday, June 26, 2010

Need Some Insect Identification Help




Well, I can't figure out what is eating my peas. I can see the little buggers, but they are so small that I don't think they show up in the picture. What I suspect is eating my peas are tiny wormy-looking yellow/orangish things that can be easily blown off of the pea. The reason I suspect these little turds is because once I noticed something was wrong and began to inspect further, I saw that these little things were in the discolored areas on the peas (usually 2-3 of them in each area). I guess they could just be reaping the benefits of an already open sore on the pea, but I have a feeling they are to blame. You can see one a bit in the first big picture in the very bottom beneath the second pea pod.

The peas are affected and so are the leaves. One plant is even beginning to turn yellowish-brown and crust up. I picked a ton of peas, trying to get all that I can out of the plants before they go down. I have gotten a lot off of the plants. Maybe it is just their time to go? I don't know...it seems too early. Last year, I saved some of the seeds and planted those this year. Could that have been the problem? I was thinking of planting more of this variety elsewhere. Is that a bad idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment